Making a link
- Type some text into your visual editor, then select the text you’d like to turn into a link.
- Click on the link icon, which looks like a chain, shown outlined in red below. The icon will be grayed out and unclickable until you select text.
Avoid “click here”
You will get better search engine rankings if you choose link text that corresponds well with the link’s destination.
Don’t do this:
Click here to see more WordPress documentation.
Do this instead:
See more WordPress documentation.
External vs Internal link
- To link a page on another site (external link), fill in the URL box (outlined in green above). You can leave Title blank.
- To link to a page or post on the same site (internal link), click “Or link to existing content” (outlined in orange above) to reveal a list of all your site’s pages/posts. You can use the search function to narrow down the selection. Clicking on the desired page/post title will fill in the URL and title fields at the top of the popup.
- Click the blue “Add Link” button.
- Remember save your work as you go by clicking on the blue “Update” or “Publish” button in the right column.
Making an email link
- Clicking an email link will launch your email client and create a new mail message addressed to the recipient: for example, to the web team or [email protected].
- Follow the same steps as outlined above for creating a link, except in the URL box, type in “mailto:[email protected]” (no space between the colon and email address), as shown below, outlined in red.
Linking to a document
- See the help guide for uploading a document
Removing a link
- Select the text you would like to unlink, and click on the icon next to the link icon, that looks like a broken chain.